Wednesday, May 21, 2008

[Music From the Baul Special Edition]

I like all kinds of music. Typically, there are some songs which I appreciate more when I hear them in movies or in TV shows. For these songs below, what's special about them is that they are songs with no words. I love the movies where they were featured as well.

La Valse D'Amelie from Amelie

This super charming French movie is one of my all-time favorites. And this song is superb. I was driving yesterday and listening to this. I was stuck in traffic, so I closed my eyes for a second. I could see myself somewhere else, with a story unfolding. There's a certain sadness about this song, but then it's hopeful as well. Like finally finding love after going through a lot of things.



Dario Marianelli's a genius. He's made two movie soundtracks which I am a big fan of.

Briony from Atonement

I like how the pounding of the typewriter keys was incorporated into the track. There's a sense of mystery, intrigue, and scandal.



Mrs. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice

I love love love Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet. Similar to Amelie, this piece tells a story. Very proper and stately though. And the middle of the song sort of surprises you. It's like finding something wonderful right under your nose.




Claire De Lune (Debussy) from Ocean's 11

This was the best Ocean of them all, I think. My favorite part of the movie was when all the guys were standing in front of the fountain and this song was playing. It is quite emotional. It's the type of song you play when everything just falls into place and makes perfect sense. Then you're at peace with the universe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home