Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Selfish Schmenten

It's looking rather dreary outside. The girls told me last night that there's another typhoon in the horizon (which apparently has arrived in the metro). Play a Coldplay track and I think I'm just about ready to slink into depression.

Okie. I've allowed myself to be selfish today. Just found out some awesome news about a particular "Green Department" fan who got her VISA. Real name NOT Keysi. Haha. Very happy for my good friend Keyce. This is a Mezzaluna prediction becoming a reality. I'm looking forward to seeing Keyce trudging through the Minnesota snow and hopping on to her RV.

I am quite sad though, that she is leaving. She and I have been movie and lamon buddies since time immemorial. Lately, I've been asking Keysi (more like whining to her), "Saan na ako pupulutin?!" Today, she told me, "Ipagbibilin kita." The selfish part of me wishes she stays. Instead of a Coldplay track, Chicago's "If You Leave Me Now" suits my mood best.

Karina has asked this question a couple of times. "Is it harder to be the one leaving? Or the one being left behind?" Lemme see.

If you're the one leaving, then you're leaving for a reason. Probably to do something new, pursue something exciting, do that one thing you've always wanted to do. But then there's the sadness of leaving the people you care about behind. Their lives will continue without you. Kids will grow up and new friendships will be formed. Missing out on the major milestones ahead. And then there's the anticipated sadness. Leaving the comfort of everything familiar.

If you're the one being left behind... Some people feel bad immediately because such a change is a reminder of their own uneventful life. Then there's the feeling of abandonment. Physically not having someone you can depend on, someone who makes life a little easier with a coffee break and a ton of laughs. A change in routine. Losing the comfort of something familiar. And then there are the great and not-so-great moments in your life, where you wish you could just share it with the one who went away. Although... There's that feeling of pride and genuine happiness when the one who went away accomplishes what he or she set out to do.

It seems being either person is hard. Change is inevitable. Situations change. Routines change. People change. Relationships and friendships evolve. And most of the time, that's a good thing.

6 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's hard either way..i just wish people stayed where they are..

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

miss you tenners...

babalik pa naman si keysi ;-)

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Tenten said...

Maan! I soooo miss you! Did you get my super habang text message a few days ago??

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Tenten said...

Pesem!! I miss you na!!! EPAL KA PA RIN! Pero miss na kita! North Face!

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Mahirap maiwan diba.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Tenten said...

Asuuuu... Parang may pinanghuhugutan. Oks lang yan. :)

Pero totoo!! It's so hard. So hard and so sad. :( Pangatlong beses na to na iniwan ako!! (Irene Marie, Meriyen, Kerlenlen) Next time! It's my turn naman! Mwahaha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home