Wednesday, February 11, 2009

[Movie Shmovie] Schmenten's Favorite Movies About Love

Veeday is upon us! I love watching movies, and there are a couple which I don't mind seeing over and over again. Here's a list of my favorite movies about love.

"Some Kind of Wonderful" is truly wonderful. An iconic 80s movie by the brat pack guru himself, John Hughes. I think I've seen this movie more than ten times. I rallied for Watts from beginning till end. My heart was breaking when hers was. And she did look good wearing Keith's future.

Baz Luhrmann is genius! I was just in awe of "Mouline Rogue!" when I first saw it. It was loud and over the top. Just like love! It consumes you and takes over, as seen in Satine and Christian's love story. The use of pop music in the script and the soundtrack shows how universal these lyrics are in expressing our deepest emotions.

Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler have undeniable onscreen chemistry (hence they have two movies on my list). Their first tandem was "The Wedding Singer". This movie practically immortalized the song "Grow Old With You". The classic Happy Madison humor plus a simple story about a waitress and a wedding singer.

Who wouldn't want a guy who makes you fall in love with him every single day? The premise of "50 First Dates" is quite unique. Drew and Adam pull it off again. I will always remember Funny man Henry and Forgetful Lucy. "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"by Iz fits the end of the movie beautifully.


When I think of "Bridges of Madison County", I think of the towel I need everytime I watch it. This movie just wrenched my heart to its very core. A sad story about a housewife who falls in love with a traveling National Geographic photographer. Everything in this movie was done so subtly. Very Clint Eastwood. The emotions were raw. It's just sad how after they find this "certainty that comes once in a lifetime", they part ways. This movie is so sad, that just thinking about it makes me cry!

In my opinion, "When Harry Met Sally" is a very realistic love story. Strangers who become friends, friends become strangers, strangers who again become friends, friends who become the best of friends, best friends who fall in love. This is the "Annie Hall" of the 90s. Fast, witty dialogue. Harry's monologue in the end was really sweet.

There aren't really a lot of romantic movies which guys and girls both like. This movie is definitely a classic. My favorite scene from "My Best Friend's Wedding" is the scene where Jules was chasing Michael and Michael was chasing Kim. George's reality check was the hurtful brutal truth. Of course this movie reminds us all that when you love someone you have to say it outloud, before the moment just passes you by.


Whimsical and fresh. I heart the French film "Amelie". The movie draws you into this colorful and wonderful world. All the characters are unique, each finding love in unexpected places. It has a fairy tale feel to it, only quirky and European. Amelie is innocent, receptive, and generally curious about everything. She's not exactly your average girl, but you root for her to find love herself.

"Love Actually" is the mother of all romantic comedies. Richard Curtis knows his stuff, and he does it well without being mushy or overly sentimental. It's a great christmas movie, and it's a feel good movie through and through. Everyone who sees it will have their favorite story. Everyone loves the "To Me You Are Perfect" scene. My own personal favorite story is Colin Firth's and the Spanish lady. I love the beginning ("... that love is actually, all around") and the ending (with real people in Heathrow , the Beach Boys singing "God Only knows" in the background).

This movie (or its story) has been remade twice. I think the better remake was an "Affair to Remember". I have many fond memories of the 90s version of "Love Affair". This movie's viewing mileage was pretty high in Unit 502. The story's one of a kind and really bittersweet in the end.

I was 12 when this animated feature film came out. Tale as Old as Time. True as it can be. A classic tale about how love looks beyond appearances. There is something magical about Disney's "Beauty and the Beast". It could be Belle's character. Finally a Disney princess who wasn't princess-y at all.


"Come back Jack." whispered Rose in the biting cold. "Titanic" is an epic movie. Just like any disaster, although you know that most of them won't make it, you can't help but watch it anyway. My favorite scene (where the tear ducts opened) was when Rose reunited with the everyone in the after life. Jack was waiting for her by the clock. Suu-weeet!

Cameron Crowe knows how to tug the heart strings. Three simple words won the gold for "Jerry Maguire". "You complete me." Oh. And the next five words which followed: "You had me at hello." This movie didn't start as a love story, but somehow, as Jerry started to understand himself better (sports agent who grew a conscience), he discovers love in Dorothy and her son.

In a nutshell, the movie "Never Been Kissed" is kinda like the story of my life. Haha. Although I wasn't such a loser back in high school. I was more of a nerd. Anyway! This is the third Drew Barrymore movie in my list. Haha. Macky loves his movie, too. Some of the scenes in this movie hit close to home, and it was such a triumph when Sam (Michael Vartan) came to the field to give Josie (Drew Barrymore) her very first kiss.

"Say Anything..." is another Cameron Crowe great. Lloyd Dobler (John Cusack's character) makes this movie. He's probably one of the sweetest guys in movie history. I want my own Lloyd Dobler. He's sweet without being nauseating. He's sincere and sure about only one thing. How much he loves Diane Court. The scene where he serenades her with a boom box (Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes") is a movie classic.

"Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind" is a movie you either think it's weird or you love to pieces. I'm more of the latter. Kate Winslet is awesome and Jim Carrey delivers. I think I'm a sucker for stories related to memories (hence I love "Memento"). This Michael Gondry film combines that with the sadness of break ups. Sometimes in the course of our lives and in our relationships, we become different people and forget what brought us together in the first place.

Let me know if you love any of these movies! Or remind me of others which I may have forgotten!

Happy Hearts day!

1 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love all of them! haha! alala ko when i watched eternal sunshine of a spotless mind, it left me feeling weird and good at the same time. and of course, my bestfriend's wedding. the best ever!!! =) pero i also like runaway bride & somewhere in time =) hehee....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home