Thursday, April 10, 2008

Edinburgh, Scotland Part 2

On our second day in Scotland, we went to High Street, on the Old Town, close to the Royal Mile, to meet up with our tour group for the day. The Rabbies Trail Burners. We were a much smaller group (about 16). Our first stop was Stirling Castle. And on the way, our tour guide (a Scot whose name I think is Colin), shared sooo many Scottish stories! He debunked a lot of the Braveheart movie myths.

So here we are with the real Braveheart, Robert the Bruce, in front of Stirling Castle.




Here's me taking a peek. And while Rommel was taking this picture,a group of tourists (who were a little older), were staring at me in amusement. What's so special about these drapes anyway?




After lunch at Aberfoyle, we headed up to Loch Lomond. The scenery was just fantastic. Something out of a story book. The Loch (which is Gaelic for "Lake") was serene. The tour guide said, "So, to those of you with some energy, do join the hike up to Rob Roy's view. It's a tad muddy so be careful of your shoes."

I figured, what the hey? I was stuffed from lunch and a good walk might do me good.



So now, I ask you. Can you put long, nature walks and Schmenten in one sentence? Haha. Not really. So I trudged up the path, my feet eventually getting soaked from the mud. Panted and panted... Until I was at the Rob Roy's view. It was breathtaking. Literally.



In fairness, the walk down was easier because our driver, this super friendly Scottish guy who's toured the world, joined us. He asked us, "Is where you live in the Philippines a city or a country?" Hehe.

On the drive back to Edinburgh, we passed by this stunning view of some of Scotland's Highlands.



Syempre, I didn't pass up this chance to take a pic with our guide in a kilt (not a skirt, haha). These Scots are actually manly men. Even though they're in kilts. Hehe. Our guide was a great story teller! I could have wiki-ed all the info he shared I'm sure. But he told the stories really well.



Back in Edinburgh, Rommel and I checked out the pub scene. At the corner of Rose st. and Castle st. is Hogshead! In Harry Potter, there's a pub with the same name.



In the evening, we settled for dinner at Dirty Dick's (there's even a pub close to this one called "Filthy McNasty's"). We each had a pint of ale and we shared a plate of Haggis, a traditional Scottish dish which I think is pretty similar to our Sisig.




Bottom's up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home