Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Top 11 Sydney Highlights

It's been a week since I officially arrived in Manila. So it seems pretty fitting that I post my Top 11 Sydney Highlights today. Most of the stuff here I've written about in detail in my previous entries. But what the hey? I still have the Aussie hang over (but it's slowly wearing off... given that I had to haul ass to the office at 6AM today!).

******

(11) Blue Mountains

I'm pretty glad the Blue Mountains package tour we took didn't involve so much walking (I didn't have my inhaler handy!). The view of some the Grand Canyon-esque looking mountains was pretty neat. Scenic Railway ride was a lot of fun! We wish it could have been longer (and faster!). Going on this trip with the O42 peeps made our day extra fun! Although the ferry ride back to the city was biting cold, it was a nice relaxing way to end the day.

(10) Taronga Zoo

Animals and animals galore! The Sydney City scape was a really nice backdrop to to the giraffes and zebras. This was the first time I saw a kangaroo and a koala up close. I'm no big animal fan, but I enjoyed the wide array of animals. Taronga Zoo was huge! The Animal shows were pretty fun, too! Kids were swarming the place (and some happy parents and some impatient parents).

(9) Bondi Beach

Got off at the Bondi Junction stop, rode the bus to the beach. And there we were. Bondi Beach! I've been so used to the Boracay stretch that I was just in awe of how big Bondi was! Surfer dudes all around! And fish and chips for a late lunch. Ice Cream for dessert! Mint and Chocolate Chip for me! The water was pretty cool and was so the sand.

(8) Sydney Opera House

Our first tourist-y trip in Sydney. Say Sydney and you'll get someone else to say, "the Sydney Opera House" almost automatically. When we first arrived, our cab driver drove us past this edifice and we were thrilled. Seeing it up close was pretty cool too! All tiles! So very everyday, yet from afar and all together, it was pretty glorious.

(7) September 1, Day of Infamy

Will not go into much detail about this day. Hehe. What happened in Sydney stays in Sydney right?? No more Park St. Bar for me! My best friend, red wine, and I almost had a falling out. I think I pretty much recovered not even a week after. Thanks so so so much to the O42 peeps for taking good care of me!

(6) DFO Shopping Spree

Thank you, Yas, for showing us the DFO light. Hehe. Shopping is always fun. Especially when Ralph Lauren is on sale! Hehe! Great 10 dollar finds. Baves moment though is a now-deleted-fitting room photo of a certain "Lehv it" person. Hehe.

(5) Crazy Office Afternoons

"Kkkkkkxxxxasi," "Jetlog", "Half Chinese, Half Garter", "Three Bears Joke", "The Dagger", "Quota"... and the list goes on and on and on. I've been shushed for the umpteenth time because of my boisterous laugh. The O42 peeps in Meeting Room 9.40 just made the usual office days into crazy office days. Laughter indeed is the best medicine for 'Guisado Garantisado' Q&A sessions.

(4) Dinners (Darling Harbour, Guiseppe, Blue Ginger, Indian Resto at Mislons Point, Baia, Makoto Sushi Train)

My my... it was eat or be eaten! I love Sydney for the diverse and wide selection of cuisine. We were able to sample Italian (Guiseppe's at Blue's Point and Baia at Darling Harbour), Indian (Blue Ginger at Blue's Point & that Indian Resto in Milson's Point), Japanese (Sakae, Makoto (both along Liverpool), this Indonesian resto in Kensington, Thai and more Thai (Saap Thai over and over again and Thai-riffic at Blue's Point). Oh my... so many more to mention. I love the breakfast places we went to as well (the best was where the Italian owner happily spoke with us). My favorite lunch place is most definitely that nice sandwich place up Miller street.

(3) Dinner at Pony

Special mention... Although I have a entry for our dining escapades, this resto is the best of them all. It was pretty fancy. Pretty pricey. And pretty worth it. The interior was slightly up scale (no tourist-y photos please). Service was good. The food... wow! I finished my dinner. So that should be indication enough that I liked it!

(2) Ben Folds Concert

We are Ben Folds converts. Simply put.
He was amazing. Exceeding our expectations! He made our last Saturday in Sydney super entertaining. The Sydney Symphony was awesome too. And the acoustics at the Opera House. Our view was no cheap seats indication. Our only regret... not buying any Ben Folds CDs! So far, the local music stores here in Manila do not have any Ben Folds CDs =( .

(1) Hunter Valley

Worth every drop and cent! Australia is well known for its wine, and we sampled a lot of 'em! Shiraz, Merlot, Port, Cabernet Sauvignon, Port, Pinot, Chardonnay... Lunch was superb! We enjoyed singing "All By Myself" whenever we saw the tourist who was alone. It was fun seeing this Filipino tour group trying to get more free wine. Given my red red ears and pink cheeks, red wine is most definitely my best friend. If someone asked me to go to Hunter Valley again, I would in a heart beat!

*******

Some pics I wasn't able to post before...






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home