Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Only Basketball Games I Watch

I'm not big fan of basketball. Several reasons. My brothers are just crazy about basketball. Head. Over. Heels. If they're not playing NBA Live on their PS2, they're watching an NBA basketball game, playing basketball in our auxiliary house's half court, or talking about the latest basketball news (trades, stats, awesome plays)... Ugh. Never really understood why they need to watch the game in its entirety when the best part (and the part that matters), is the fourth quarter. I think if two guys who don't know each other (strangers) meet for the very first time, basketball is always an effective ice breaker.

But every year, I make an exception. The only basketball games I watch from start of finish are the UAAP games, DLSU versus Ateneo. I've only seen one game live where Ateneo won over La Salle. And the feeling was nothing short of euphoric! For the games I've seen on TV, my hands are always clammy, my heart is beating wildly, and I'm cheering like there's no tomorrow.

My brothers mentioned that today's the first DLSU-ADMU UAAP game and I sort of stashed that thought away (so many stuff happening in the office). It was only after Bebet texted me, "Go Ateneo" when I remembered the game. Rommel confirmed that we won! Wooohoo! Overtime pa!

So when I got home, they were replaying the game on Channel 33 (God bless you Sky Cable).



I love watching these games. Checking out the new basketball cuties (DLSU has this cute new player), seeing some familiar faces when the camera pans over the spectators and fans, and chanting "Go Ateneo" along with the crowd. At the end of the game of course, hearing "Song for Mary" always uplifts my spirits. Fun! Victory makes it sweeter.

This is the first game Ateneo has won over La Salle since 2004. Imacheen?! The Green Archers are the hungry team this year. They've had a year to think about how much they want to win the championship. Hehe. And they're awfully, awfully good.

Game synopsis from Inquirer.net:


Ateneo defeats La Salle in overtime, 80-77

INQUIRER.net
Last updated 08:56pm (Mla time) 07/26/2007
MANILA, Philippines -- The Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles has defeated arch rival, the De La Salle Green Archers, in overtime, 80-77 at the UAAP men’s basketball Thursday.

The Archers forged the overtime on the efforts of JV Casio who almost single-handedly brought his team back into the game late in the fourth quarter.

With the win, Ateneo has tightened its hold on second place, with a 4-1 slate, behind the undefeated University of the East Red Warriors who dealt the Eagles their only loss so far in the tournament.

Meanwhile, the Archers dropped to third with 3-2, with their losses coming from the Eagles and the Red Warriors.


I remember how intense the alums (from both DLSU and ADMU) are during the UAAP season. Some of them are waaay too passionate (close to unreasonable) for their own good. Hehe. I wonder how this rivalry began! It's always been Ateneo vs. La Salle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home