Saturday, February 23, 2008

Whattaday

Today marks one of my darker days at work. I've been ranting about the system testing we're doing for one of the client's projects. We encountered this major environment issue today which prevented any of the testers on shore to execute their tests. Thankfully, it was resolved later that day, and the testers in Manila (uber hard working peeps), were able to run a couple. I'm just very worried about my peeps. They've been working more than 12 hours a day. My test lead, God bless him for being so industrious and persevering, was telling me today that he was seeing circles while he was reading the monster AFS document about SCP. I really wish there was more I can do to make the situation better, or help them out with what they need. I guess that's how it is when you're taking more responsibilities. I can "not care", but I know it's my arse on the line and their success is mine.

My Dev counterpart spoke with me on the phone, just before I headed off to lunch. After listening to what he had to say, my grumbling stomach turned into a mini headache. So it's all of our arse(s) on the line. By hook or by crook, we need to get this testing done. He shared most of his sentiments regarding why we are where we are in the project. Wrong choice of environment, poor planning, and a couple other things. I was never really directly involved in the initial planning stages, and some of the decisions made earlier considered very little of our inputs a few months back. But regardless, I couldn't help but feel partially responsible.

Hay. Now I'm beginning to seriously wonder if this is the work life I really want.

Grouchy has been nice enough to remind me every single day about what she's leaving behind and how we (those of us left in the project) are all stuck to keep the ball rolling. I can see why she has that smug smile every single day. Hehe. But Grouchy has paid her dues, and if I were her, I'd be opening a bottle of champagne every single evening now that my roll-off date has been set.

So maybe it's just a cycle. A few days ago, prod support was on the spotlight. So now, it's Dev's turn. Dengit.

My Dev counterpart noticed my lack luster responses during our conversation this afternoon. He changed the subject and asked me about my planned vacay this April. Now, I can't wait till April 1 finally arrives. This whole dev drama will make my one month vacay even sweeter.

I'm a tad bit worried about leaving everyone behind. I don't want them to hate me for leaving. Hehe. So on my to do list in the next month: Make the transition smooth. Better start involving those taking my place.

Instant gratification for today: 4 Hand Massage at Miracle Spa, Santana Grove. The verdict: Sonya's Garden knocked that service out of the ball park. I wasn't impressed at all with the massage I got this evening. I did fall asleep during the last ten minutes. But I didn't feel rejuvenated much. Might be everything that's going on inside my head.

I'm just glad today's over. I'm sure there will be better (or worse?!) days ahead.

Oh and look. Macmacmac's having a good day. :) This blog is courtesy of him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home