Saturday, July 01, 2006

Up up and away

Yes, by the four words of this blog's title, you can tell that I just came from the movies. Yes, I did see Superman Returns today. My not-so-random thoughts about it? It was good. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a rating of 75% I think, which is pretty impressive, given the very high RT standards.

*Major spoilers coming!*

The overall theme to me was fatherhood. I like what Jor-El says to his son and what Superman said to his own son. Nice touch. It was a nice new spin to the theme. I'm trying to find exactly what he said... to no avail. Maybe in a couple of days though.

Brandon Routh is hot hot hot hot as the Man of Steel! Love everything about him! I think he has a really handsome face, great voice and nice bod! Hehe! I don't think Nicolas Cage nor Ashton Kutcher could have done a better job as Superman. I would like to see more of Brandon. He's a tall one!



I also liked the nice surprising way how the kid's super powers are revealed. At first you'd think he was definitely Richard's son when Lex Luthor showed him some Kryptonite. And then came the part where the Grand Piano was smashed into the villian by none other than the asthmatic kid! I think all of us watching gasped! We thought we had it all figured out!

I liked the opening scenes! It was like a Rialto ride!

Kevin Spacey was good as Lex Luthor. Power-hungry, unforgiving, yet with a touch of humor.

It was a good remake. It was touching that Bryan Singer dedicated the film to Christopher and Dana Reeves.

I would have wanted to see more Clark Kent in the movie. It's the fumbling Clark that makes Superman more human and relatable. I actually find myself liking Clark so much more than Superman. Some critics do say that the Superman in this movie is emotionally tormented. He feels he's all alone, when in fact, he truly isn't.

I miss Margot Kidder's depiction of Lois Lane. Ambitious but funny. Head over heels in love with Superman, but oblivious about Clark. Their chemistry in the first Superman movies is undeniably better than Brandon and Kate Bosworth. I did not like her as Lois Lane very much. She was a cold Lois Lane. Although that could have been the intention, given Superman was MIA for 5 years with no goodbyes. Maybe they can show a more human, warmer Lois Lane in the next pictures.

As with the first X-Men and Spiderman movies, the director was probably trying to get his superhero groove. I'm sure the next pictures will be better than this first one (as with the other two superhero flicks).

In a nutshell...I like Batman Begins, Spiderman 2, and Superman 2 better than Superman Returns. But I'm hopeful that what's too come might push those movies to the backseat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home