Thursday, May 31, 2007

Work Stuff

May 31

Been a while since I last ranted about work. Since I arrived at past 8 this morning, I had a sandwich, a couple of cashew nuts, a grande Iced Caramel Macchiato, and Bicol Express. On top of that, I've received over 200 emails, had a couple of interesting phone calls, and fought the urge to snap at someone. Haha.

Okie. So my new role is not a bed of roses. It's reminding me why I like testing in the first place and was never really keen on development. It is challenging, that I have to say. I do have goals I've set out for myself, things I'd like to achieve for the project. But with the people movement and people obstacles, I'm uncertain if it's achievable.

June 1

So it's the first of June, and we've become close-to-permanent-residents of the guillotine.

From Wikipedia...The guillotine is a device used for carrying out executions by decapitation. It consists of a tall upright frame from which is suspended a heavy blade. This blade is raised with a rope and then allowed to drop, severing the victim's head. The device is noted for long being the main method of execution in France and, more particularly, for its use during the French Revolution.


This week, we were manager-less. It's been a while since I was as busy as this. It's a welcome change, actually. But whether or not it's sustainable... Haha. I dunno. The client's tough and challenging. And Ohun (my favorite onshore counterpart) mentioned that you will learn a lot, working in this project. Technical skills... Haha. So not keen about that. What I'm learning though, is how to think outside the box, push back, and how to control my sometimes quick fingers (and mouth).

In the past, work crossed over my personal life. I was working too much and putting too much of myself that the boundary between my personal life and work became close to non-existent. I've vowed, since then, to keep things separate. Have time for myself, friends, and family. Not to let things become too personal (i.e. getting snide emails from clients). And to still laugh at myself when under pressure.

Work here in the Firm (Haha. Nenok na term) is actually always interesting. It has its ups and downs, but I don't think my six years here have been wasted. Yikes. Can't believe I said that.

Not to say that I have changed my mind about my long term plans. Haha.

Speaking of plans. Interesting how plans work out... and how they don't. I'm keeping my options open. And either option (I have about two), is an option I could definitely live with. Both have pros and cons. Both I would like to pursue. So whatever cards the universe will give me, are ok with me. I'm not saying I won't be making the decision myself. But I trust that signs will be sprinkled along the way to help me be sure of what I want for the future.

I've said it a couple of times before. It's hard when your mind is dead-set on a particular series of events happening when in fact we don't have full control of what will transpire. As that famous quote goes, we should learn to discern between things we can change and things we can't. Most of the time, we can't always insist on what we want. We need to listen to the universe and what it's telling us.

I dunno. Maybe I'm becoming too relaxed and resistant to change. Haha. Now, it's just easier to find reasons to stay.

Haha. This ain't the last of this train of thought. Like any train, it passes from one stop to the next. Maybe when my brain's all dried out and frustration's coming out of my nose, I'll be writing about something else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home